Warringah Amateur Swimming Association (WASA) takes great pride in its ability to provide numerous benefits to its member clubs and swimmers.
WASA aims to meet our objective to:
“Promote, teach and encourage the art of swimming”
This is achieved, in one way, through the provision of several scholarship opportunities that are available to members of WASA’s affiliated clubs, thanks to the Association and its partners, Combined High Schools, Northern Beaches Council and Narelle Simpson Swim School.
We are pleased to be in a position which enables us to offer scholarships to those swimmers who can demonstrate a commitment to swimming and support to the Association and its objectives.
The Executive Committee, in recent years, has been disappointed with the lack of scholarship applications received from member clubs. Last season, in order to encourage more people to apply for this valuable funding, the Association approved a number of changes to its scholarships, including:
- Removing the age eligibility criteria for the prestigious Dick Gallie Scholarship;
- Increasing the value of the Winter Training Scholarships from $200 to $300 per scholarship;
- Increasing the amount of Winter Training Scholarships awarded from 4 to 6;
- Sending the scholarships pack to all WASA members directly;
- Accepting applications directly from members, not through member clubs; and
- Creating an online application form.
The scholarships are:
- The Dick Gallie Memorial Scholarship;
- Six WASA Training Scholarships;
- Five Northern Beaches Council entry passes to Warringah Aquatic Centre for eligible applicants; and
- Two NS Swim School Training Scholarships.
We are enthusiastic when it comes to encouraging swimmers who have proven their commitment to the sport of swimming.
If your application demonstrates you are bettering yourself and contributing to your club in a positive and meaningful way, it will be favorably considered.
Previous scholarship winners have shown a strong commitment to swimming, both within their own clubs and within the Association.
The details of each scholarship are below for your consideration. We encourage all members to consider submitting an application.
Applications for WASA’s 2022 swimming scholarships CLOSED at 5.00 pm on Sunday 24 April 2022.
- Only applications submitted via the online application form will be accepted.
- A swimmer may be nominated for one, two or three scholarships, but may only win one scholarship in any year.
- All nominations received will be carefully considered by the Selection Committee and selected applicants announced on 2 May 2022 (at the WASA AGM).
- Enquiries should be directed to email@example.com
The Dick Gallie Memorial Scholarship
The Dick Gallie Memorial Scholarship, consisting of a $400 grant from WASA and a range of products, generously donated by the Combined High School’s Association, is awarded to a deserving swimmer in memory of the late Dick Gallie’s contribution to WASA and School Swimming NSW.
This scholarship is awarded annually to a deserving swimmer in memory of Dick’s contribution to WASA and School Swimming in NSW. Dick was a qualified referee who worked tirelessly at Warringah meets and mentored many of the current Technical officials. His greatest love was the school carnival season which he worked daily during January to April. Dick was also the treasurer of WASA for 16 years.
Dick Gallie Memorial Awardee’s
|2020||Tahli Elliott||Avalon Bilgola|
|2019||Eli Mork||Northern Beaches|
|2018||Krystal Elliott||Avalon Bilgola|
|2017||Alexander Smith||Warringah Aquatic|
|2016||Tyler Bailey||Avalon Bilgola|
|2015||Bianca Raffin||Avalon Bilgola|
|2014||Thomas Kerr||Avalon Bilgola|
|2012||Renee Hough||Warringah Aquatic|
|2010||Andrew Newling||Warringah Aquatic|
|2009||Lachlan Vella||Warringah Aquatic|
The WASA Training Scholarship
The Association is pleased to offer up to six Training Scholarships, valued at $300 each, to contribute towards coaching fees at an approved training provider of the applicant’s choice.
Recognising the costs associated with swimming training programs, the provision of these scholarships affirms WASA’s commitment to supporting swimmers and their families.
Northern Beaches Council Entry Passes to Warringah Aquatic Centre
Thanks to the generosity of Northern Beaches Council, the Association is pleased to offer up to five training passes to eligible applicants, providing free entry to Warringah Aquatic Centre for the period June to August 2022.
NS Swim School Training Scholarships
The Association, in partnership with Narelle Simpson, is pleased to offer two Training Scholarships, valued at $300 each, to contribute towards coaching fees for customers of NS Swim School. Recognising the costs associated with swim training programs, the provision of these scholarships affirms WASA’s commitment to supporting swimmers and their families.
NS Swim School Training Scholarship Awardee’s